10 Benefits of Celery Juice
I began noticing that everyone was posting and sharing celery juice on social media. Health and wellness podcasts kept talking about it, singing its praises. One of my best friends kept telling me about it. Celery Juice just kept popping up on my radar, over and over, until well, of course I had to try it myself to see what all the hubbub was about.
Celery Juice heals and activates the gut by restoring hydrochloric acid which helps us digest things faster and more efficiently. Celery juice helps raise stomach acid, which is necessary to help break down food, especially protein. Especially good for those on a high protein diet. If our stomach acid is low, the body has to use more resources to digest that food, often leaving us feeling tired and lethargic. Celery juice has the ability to significantly replenish depleted levels of gastric mucus that is needed in the stomach lining to heal and prevent ulcers and acid reflux.
1. Celery Juice lowers cholesterol. Celery contains a compound called 3-n-butylphthalide (BuPh) that has been reported to have lipid-lowering action, reducing the bad cholesterol (LDL) in our bloodstream.
2. Celery Juice is a natural anti-inflammatory. It contains Polyacetylene which reduces chronic joint pain, gout, and rheumatoid arthritis. Not only does it soothe the body, but it is also believed to soothe the nerves, with calming and relaxing properties.
3. Celery Juice lowers blood pressure. Research shows that celery helps lower high blood pressure by acting as a smooth muscle relaxant, improving the flow of calcium and potassium in cells, allowing blood vessels to expand and contract with greater ease.
4. Celery juice aids the Liver. Studies show that celery helps reduce fat build- up in the liver. The nutrients in celery protect the liver, and actually help the liver produce enzymes that help flush fat and toxins out.
5. Celery juice improves digestion by increasing circulation in the intestines, getting things going and moving. It’s good for constipation, bloating, puffiness and water retention, acting as a gentle, mild, natural laxative and diuretic.
6. Celery Juice fights infection. Research shows that compounds found in celery contain powerful antimicrobial properties that fight infections and naturally boost immunity. Celery juice reduces uric acid and stimulates urine production, especially useful in fighting bacterial infections within the digestive tract and reproductive organs, helping prevent UTIs, bladder and kidney disorders.
7. Celery Juice contains powerful anti-oxidants and cancer-fighting compounds. Celery contains a flavonoid called apigenin, which has been shown to kill cancer cells. The polyacetylenes in celery interestingly contain chemo-protective compounds that help to reduce toxicity while boosting immunity and help slow the growth of mutated cells.
8. Celery Juice is alkalizing. Actually celery is one of the most alkaline foods you can eat! Research suggests that an alkaline diet lengthens life and prevents chronic diseases.
9. Celery juice is highly nutritious. Celery is loaded with essential minerals and vitamins such as folate, potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin K and vitamin C. A cocktail for the skin. The luteolin in celery protects skin from the inside and prevents UV-induced damage. Some swear by celery’s skin healing properties, saying that it helped clear up skin conditions like psoriasis and acne.
So, I will continue using celery just because I do love the taste and whether it gives me many of these benefits-We will see.